Bring your student to school everyday. Attendance at school is compulsory until the 18th birthday or graduation from high school. Students are expected to be in class on time daily in order to receive maximum benefits from the instructional program. Students absent from school for any length of time (one period, one day, or many days) must verify the absence by a phone call or a note from a parent/ guardian within 5 days. Attendance procedures must be followed even after the student’s 18th birthday.
- Nightly, the automated dialer will call the home phone number of all students who have been reported absent from one or more class periods.
- The school provides 24-hour voice mail for reporting all day absences.
- Communication between home and school is a major factor in correcting poor attendance. Calls to the school attendance office, are welcomed.
- Tardiness at the beginning of school is unacceptable and is cleared only with a note or call from a parent/guardian within five school days.
- Students can have two excused tardies per quarter for first block only.
- For every unexcused tardy a 1 hour detention will be assigned.
- Students identified with habitual tardies will be placed on attendance contracts.
- Checking into a class 30 minutes late is considered a cut (and truant).
- Any unverified absence or cut results in 2 hours of detention.
- Verification of absences are to be made by telephone or note from the parent/guardian indicating the date and reason. Telephone calls should be made the same day as the absence. Please use both first and last name of student on all correspondence from home. This is especially important when the parent and student do not have the same last name. Please include date of absence, reason for absence, and signature of the parent or legal guardian verifying the absence and current date.
- Failure to clear an absence or tardy by a telephone call or a note within FIVE (5) days will result in being marked as truant and disciplinary action.
The Rocklin Unified School District authorizes certain absences to be classified as “excused” if they are for the following reasons:
- Illness or injury or having medical or dental services rendered.
- Quarantine under the direction of a County or City Health Officer.
- Funeral/memorial service and/or bereavement.
- Court Appearance or Religious holidays.
A student, who is absent without a valid excuse, will be subject to disciplinary action and marked as truant. Disciplinary results can range from Saturday School to School Attendance Mitigation (SAM) referral. Having more than 3 unexcused absences can also result in being assigned Saturday School for subsequent unexcused absences.
CLOSED CAMPUS/CHECKING STUDENT OUT
- Whitney High School is a closed campus. Guests are not permitted.
- Parents, pre-scheduled guest speakers or military guests need to sign in at the WHS reception desk.
- Permission to leave campus must be communicated by written note, phone call, or a personal appearance by the parent/guardian prior to the school authorizing the student to leave campus.
- Parent’s Responsibility: Write a note containing:
- Student’s first & last name.
- Date, time and reason the student is leaving.
- Your signature and daytime phone number.
- Student’s Responsibility:
- Bring note to attendance window before school, break, or lunch for check-out slip.
- Show the check out slip to the teacher at the beginning of class and watch the clock to leave on time.
- Agree with parent/guardian on a place to be picked up.
- Students MUST check in at the attendance window upon late arrival or return to campus any time after 7:45a.m. and before 2:40p.m.
- Failure to comply with the above discipline policy will result in disciplinary action.
- Student who leaves campus without properly checking out at the attendance office will be assigned detention.
PREARRANGED ABSENCES/INDEPENDENT STUDY
Students who foresee being absent for five (5) or more days may request an Independent Study Contract to prevent loss of learning time. The Attendance Office needs sufficient notice (minimum 1 week) to process an Independent Study Contract. The Independent Study contract assignments must be completed and returned to the Attendance Office on the day scheduled to return.
GENERAL ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
- A student who attempts to clear an absence through a forged note or an impersonated phone call will have the absence declared a truancy and will receive disciplinary action for the forgery.
- A student must be in attendance the full regular school day of a contest or extra-curricular activity to be eligible to participate. There are possible exceptions, subject to interpretations by the principal or his designee.
- A student is considered absent from class if they miss 30 minutes or more of a class.
Whitney High School has a telephone and email program, “School Messenger,” for parent notification. WHS staff uses the program to inform parents about their child’s attendance as well as event information. Please make sure that you notify the office of telephone or email changes.